Hardy Mexican Salad
This nutritious Hardy Mexican salad is a Silver & Gold favourite! Perfect for making ahead of time and taking to a picnic or a family gathering, as it will not wilt and will stay fresh and delicious! In fact, seems to be more delicious as it 'sits':
• 1 medium bell pepper, chopped
• ½ medium red onion, diced
• 1 medium cucumber, chopped
• 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
• 1 avocado, pitted and chopped
• 1/2 Cup fresh or frozen corn
• 1 15 oz. can of black or kidney beans, drained
and rinsed well
• 1/4 jalapeño pepper, seeded and diced
• 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
• ¼ cup fresh lime juice
• 2 tablespoons honey
• ½ teaspoon cumin
• 1 clove garlic, finely minced
• ½ teaspoon salt
• 3 tablespoons grapeseed or olive oil
• freshly ground black pepper
• taste and add salt if needed
did you know...?
Avocados are a great source of heart-healthy monounsaturated fat: The type of fat that may actually help to raise levels of HDL (“good”cholesterol) while lowering levels of LDL (“bad” cholesterol).
Avocados are the fruit with the highest protein content. One avocado can contain as much as 4 grams of protein!
You can ripen an avocado much faster if it’s placed in a brown paper bag along with a banana.
Avocados are great to bake with: Simply replace the oil or butter in a recipe with the same amount of mushed avocado.
Avocados are among the best foods to help fight stress due to their abundance of B vitamins.