Top 5 reasons to choose filters over bottled water
If you’re concerned about contaminants in the tap water you drink every day, you’re not alone. We all deserve to know what we’ll be putting in our bodies when we turn on the tap.
But if you want safer water for yourself and your family, bottled water isn’t the solution - not for your pocketbook, not for your health and certainly not for our planet. Your best option for cleaner, healthier drinking water on the go is filtered tap water and a reusable glass or stainless steel container. Here are five reasons why you should say no to bottled water and choose filtered instead.
1. Cost – Tap water costs about $.002 per gallon - that’s two-hundredths of a penny - while a litre of water from the cooler in your local store costs at least $2 before tax. Canadians drink close to 3 billion litres of bottled water per year.
2. Quality – Laboratory testing has found all sorts of nasty stuff in popular brands of bottled water - disinfection byproducts, industrial chemicals, prescription drugs and even bacteria. And unlike your local tap water utilities, which are required to test for contaminants each year and disclose the results to the public, the bottled water industry can hide the results of its testing.
3. The bottle itself – PET plastics - the kind used to make plastic water bottles and marked with a “1” code on the bottom - can contain dozens of chemical additives, manufacturing impurities and breakdown byproducts. That’s more than 80 additional contaminants that could be leaching into your water.
4. Trash – Less than 32 percent of PET plastic bottles and jars are actually recycled in the plants.
5. Wasted energy – It takes up to 2,000 times more energy to produce bottled water than tap water. It takes energy to make the bottles, fill them with water and ship them to your local market - sometimes over great distances.
Bottom line is, buy a good water filter, and help save our planet! •
- - - -
Article originally appeared in our Silver and Gold magazine Winter 2017 issue. Click for more articles! www.silvergoldmagazine.ca
Check out our exclusive and delicious Silver and Gold recipes and GET HEALTHY!
Each issue of Silver & Gold features: aging gracefully • kitchen and household tips and tricks • family & home • gardening • money matters • travel and the outdoors • upcoming events • your community • we’re the best magazine for boomers plus!