The following remedies have been submitted by our Silver and Gold readers, who believe they work like a charm! Do you know of any other natural remedies to keep those pesky summer bugs away? Let us know!
The Mouthwash Remedy:
• Large bottle of inexpensive blue mouthwash
• 3 cups of epsom salt
• 3 cups of stale, inexpensive beer
Mix well in a bucket, add to a sprayer and spray through the garden, deck, and anywhere you sit outside. Spray twice during the summer and twice in the early fall. “The stronger you mix it, the better it works, and it smells nice and minty because of the mouthwash.” Not recommended for use on skin.
Vinegar Bug Spray:
Fill a spray bottle as follows:
• 1/2 with white or apple cider vinegar
• Add a handful of herbs: Mint, lavender, catnip, sage and thyme.
• Top off with water, shake and spray in the garden, deck, etc. Not recommended for use on skin.
Essential oil spray for skin:
• Fill a container halfway with inexpensive grapeseed or olive oil (great for the skin, do not use canola as it has been highly sprayed with pesticides, and genetically modified)
• Add a few drops of essential oils: see below.
• Top off container with distilled water
Safe for skin – do not get into the eyes, wash hands after spraying. Re-apply every couple of hours.
Mosquitoes: Citronella, peppermint, lemon, eucalyptus, basil, clove, thyme, lemongrass, geranium, and lavender;
Ticks: Rose geranium, juniper, rosewood, thyme, grapefruit, peppermint, lemongrass, and oregano.