Gluten-free Spaghetti with Mussels
• ½ tsp. olive oil
• 4 cloves of garlic, minced
• ½ large onion, diced
• 1 Cup dry white wine (ie: Pinot Grigio)
• ¼ Cup Italian parsley, chopped
• 2 Tbsp. capers
• 1 Tbsp. hot red pepper flakes (optional)
• 2 lbs. fresh mussels, scrubbed and de-bearded
• 1 lb. gluten-free spaghetti (corn, quinoa or rice)
• sea salt & fresh ground pepper to taste
Bring a large pot of water to boil and cook pasta according to directions, until al-dente, then drain and set aside to cool slightly.
Meanwhile, in a large sauté pan, heat olive oil slightly and add garlic, onions for about a minute. Add the wine, raise the heat and bring to a slight boil. Add mussels and cook, stirring and tossing until all mussels have opened – about 4 minutes. Add capers and hot peppers & stir. (At this point you may de-shell mussels or serve in the shell, throwing out those which have not opened) Add the pasta to the mussel mixture and cook over high heat for 1 minute. Add parsley and season to taste, serving immediately.
*Mussels are inexpensive (under $2 per pound at most grocery stores) and for this recipe you only require 2 lbs. of them for about 6 people. They are also a flavourful way of preparing a pasta dish without having to use the typical red pasta sauce.
Yield: Serves 6